When working horses were being used for deliveries and transport, horse troughs were a common sight. Many survived the second world war, but they gradually disappeared during the 50’s and 60’s.
This trough was original at the junction of Dock Road and Calcutta Road, known locally as the Bullnose.
This trough was originally installed in 1916 and it appears to be the only horse trough to survive in Thurrock.
In the 1960’s when the junction was widened, it was moved to Biggin Lane for a while. During the time at Biggin Lane the horse trough was damaged and its conditioned deteriorated.
It was rescued by The Tilbury Riverside Project and was stored in the CRC car park until historic research by Jack Doodes (a resident of the town and member of the Tilbury Community Forum) helped to ensure its restoration, cleaning and its presentation back to the public view.
Madstone LTD then restored the Horse trough but it was not possible to reintroduce water to the trough, so it now serves as a container for flowers.
In March 2010, the Horse Trough was re-positioned close to its original location and then in September 2010, the then Mayor of Thurrock Ann Cheale officially
marked the return of the trough.
Link to website – www.tilburyandchadwellmemories.org.uk/page.aspx?id=35